Fiskars Summer Festival
“When visiting Fiskars village recently, I was immediately inspired to organise a mentoring event in its wonderfully creative atmosphere. The feeling is one of energy and innovation, and that is going to inspire our young musicians and mentors.”
The Fiskars Summer Festival is a LEAD! Foundation Conductor’s Masterclass for young conductors and conductors in the early stages of their career. It is inspired by our desire to create an ongoing teaching programme and a supportive community – a hub for Finnish and international participants of LEAD! to meet, network, find support, practice and learn. The focus is on developing leadership- communication- and self-management skills. We offer a unique educational format that not only teaches the skills required to excel in performance. It also provides mentoring and insight into the classical music industry so that participants can navigate today’s competitive music world with more confidence, both on and off-stage.
“I had an incredible time in Finland. I keep telling anyone I can about how amazing this event and opportunity was for me”
Led by conductor and LEAD! Founder Jukka-Pekka Saraste, the Fiskars Summer Festival is an international platform for both Finnish and international artists to pass on their knowledge and experience to the next generation of musicians from all around the world. Each year he will be joined by experienced guest teachers. In 2020 in addition to distinguished teacher Jorma Panula, renowned artists Esa-Pekka Salonen, Sakari Oramo, Dalia Stasevska, Klaus Mäkelä and Pekka Kuusisto appeared as special guests and mentors.
The Masterclass offers:
- Active work with orchestra, where work is analysed, critiqued and discussed.
- Workshops that include career coaching and advice on the classical music business.
The Festival takes place in the idyllic artisan village of Fiskars. It uses many of the village’s picturesque locations to host its activities. It has established strong ties with the local community and beyond.
The Festival offers:
- Chamber music pop-up concerts in different informal venues in Fiskars, including art galleries.
- Seminars, workshops and discussions about musical leadership and other topics. Artists and businesspeople living in Fiskars and beyond are invited to take part in these events that are open to the public.
- Concerts with chamber orchestra and/or symphonic orchestra with top international soloists. They are led by the weeks teaching conductors and participants.