Fiskars Summer Festival
“When visiting Fiskars village recently, I was immediately inspired to organise a mentoring event in its wonderfully creative atmosphere. The feeling is one of energy and innovation, and that is going to inspire our young musicians and mentors.”
The Fiskars Summer Festival hosts LEAD! Foundation´s masterclass for young conductors in the early stages of their career. It was inspired by our desire to create an ongoing teaching programme and a supportive community – a hub for Finnish and international participants to meet, network, find support, practice and learn. In the spirit of the Finnish tradition for creating a supportive atmosphere for the next generation of young artists, we invite both Finnish and international personalities to collaborate with us.
Our focus remains firmly on developing leadership- communication- and self-management skills in our young artists. We aim to teach not only the skills required to excel in performance, but also to provide individual mentorship and insight into the classical music industry, which is currently undergoing significant change.
“I had an incredible time in Finland. I keep telling anyone I can about how amazing this event and opportunity was for me”
Led by conductor and LEAD! Founder Jukka-Pekka Saraste, the Fiskars Summer Festival is an international platform for both Finnish and international artists to pass on their knowledge and experience to the next generation of conductors from all around the world. In 2020 eminent artists Jorma Panula, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Sakari Oramo, Dalia Stasevska, Klaus Mäkelä and Pekka Kuusisto appeared as special guests and mentors.
The Masterclass offers:
- Active work with orchestra, where work is analysed, critiqued and discussed.
- Workshops that include career coaching and advice on the classical music business.
- Public concerts
The Festival takes place in the idyllic artisan village of Fiskars. It uses many of the village’s picturesque locations to host its activities, and has established strong ties with the local community and businesses.
The Festival offers:
- Chamber music pop-up concerts in different informal venues in Fiskars, including art galleries, ateliers and industrial spaces.
- Seminars, workshops and discussions about musical leadership and other topics. Artists and businesspeople living in Fiskars and beyond are also invited to take part in these events that are open to the public.
- Concerts with chamber orchestra and symphony orchestra with top international soloists and guest conductors.